Sunday, July 1, 2007

Ako admits guilt

Ako admits guilt
By SHUHAIDAH SAHARANI

“YES, it was me. But I hope the media won’t make a big deal out of this.”
That was Ako Mustapha’s response when asked if he was the actor caught in a
khalwat raid on Tuesday.


A Malay tabloid reported yesterday that a famous actor was caught for being in close proximity with a woman by the Selangor Religious Department (Jais) at midnight, two days ago.
According to the article, Jais officers raided a condominium in Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur, following several tip-offs.

After knocking the door and ringing the doorbell a few times, the team pried open the grille and door.

Initial checks revealed it was empty, but upon investigating, they found a lighted but locked room.

After several knocks, the couple then appeared from the room.

After failing to produce a marriage certificate, the actor and his companion were taken to a police station to have their statements recorded. They are now out on bail.

The article did not reveal the actor’s identity, only saying that he was in his 30s and had a relationship with an actress before their relationship ended in the middle of 2006. However, word was going around that it was Ako Mustapha, who starred in Buli and Gangster.

Ako was initially reluctant to talk about it but opened up after some coaxing.

“I don’t want the media to make a big fuss. There are bigger cases happening, like the Altantuya murder case.

“That’s more serious and that’s what the media should be focusing on,” said Ako.

He explained that the reality is much more innocent than it’s made out to be.

“I slept at a friend’s house because I was too lazy to drive from home to my film locations and back.

“I am shooting several dramas back to back, and most of them are in Ampang. I need to arrive early and usually, it ends late at night, so I decided to sleep over at her house.

That’s what happened,” said Ako, who lives in Kota Damansara.

“We did nothing. I just slept there.” Asked if they ‘slept’ in the same room, Ako denied it.

“That’s a lie. We were in the same house, not in the same room.” Ako added that only he was charged since the female companion was a non-Muslim.

“I admit that I am guilty because it was my fault. I know it’s wrong to stay under the same roof with a woman I am not related to. I am owning up to it. Let’s not blow this out of proportion.” Asked if he might consider marrying the girl, Ako said no.

“She is just a friend.”

0 comments: